IOWA CORN GROWERS ASSN.
Iowa Corn Promotion Board Schedules July 12 Elections
JOHNSTON, Iowa - April 25, 2011 - Corn growers in six Iowa crop reporting districts will vote on Tuesday, July 12, at Iowa State University county extension offices to elect five directors to the Iowa Corn Promotion Board (ICPB). Elections this year are scheduled in districts 1, 3, 5, 6 and 9.
Iowa growers elect 17 of their peers to serve on the Iowa Corn Promotion Board to oversee the investment of funds generated by the Iowa corn checkoff. The Board's primary activities include domestic and foreign market development, research into new and value-added corn uses, and education about the corn industry. A portion of the seats on the board are up for election each year.
Anyone who has produced and marketed 250 bushels of corn or more in Iowa in the previous year can vote in the election. Producers unable to visit their county extension office on July 12 may vote by absentee ballot. Absentee ballots will be available from May 24 to June 27 and must be postmarked by July 12.
Other corn producers interested in running for the checkoff board can get on the ballot by filing a nomination petition with the ICPB no later than 4:30 p.m. on May 14. Petitions can be requested from the ICPB office; completed petitions must be signed by 25 corn producers from the prospective candidate's district and notarized.
Once all grower petitions have been received, a final list of candidates will be announced.
For more information on the ICPB or director elections, please contact the ICPB office at (515) 225-9242.
NOTE TO EDITOR: As of April 25, 2011, ICPB director candidates include:
Crop District 1
- Lowell Appleton from Sanborn, O'Brien County
- Roger Vander Veen from Hartley, O'Brien County
Crop District 3
- Nick Leibold* from New Hampton, Chickasaw County
- Suzanne Shirbroun from Farmersburg, Clayton County
Crop District 5
- Roscoe Eggers* from State Center, Marshall County
- Jason Robinson from Baxter, Jasper County
Crop District 6
- John Airy from Central City, Linn County
- Mark Heckman from West Liberty, Muscatine County
Crop District 9
- Wayne Humphreys from Columbus Junction, Louisa County
- Patty Koller from Donnellson, Lee County
*Indicates an incumbent running for re-election.
(Contacts: Laura Biggart or Claire Masker, 515-225-9242)