IOWA EGG COUNCIL
EASTER BRUNCH WEEKEND
Host an unforgettable springtime gathering filled with sunrise specialties—from a make-ahead Italian strata to fun French toast cups and individual egg casseroles.
Italian Spinach Strata
* 8 large eggs
* 1 loaf ciabatta bread, sliced less than 1
inch thick and then cut into triangles
* 3 bell peppers (1 each of yellow, red and
* 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
* 3 cups fresh spinach, stems removed and
* 1 cup fresh basil, cut into thin strips ½
cup pine nuts, toasted
* 4 cups milk
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeG
* 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
* 1 pound asiago cheese, sliced
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish; set aside.
In a skillet cook peppers in olive oil until tender; set aside. Cover bottom of baking dish with the bread triangles. Layer in order on top of the bread as follows: half the peppers, all chopped spinach, half of the basil and half of the pine nuts.
Blend together the eggs, milk, garlic and nutmeg. Pour half of the egg mixture into the baking dish. Press so it soaks into the bread. Layer half of each of the cheeses over the top. Cover the cheese layer with the remaining bread. Repeat the pepper, basil and pine nut layers. Pour remaining egg mixture into dish and press so the bread soaks it up. Top with remaining cheeses.
Bake, uncovered, for 40 to 45 minutes or until set and light brown on top. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Makes 8 servings.
Make-ahead directions: Layer ingredients as directed. Cover and chill in the refrigerator overnight. Bake as directed, allowing 60 to 65 minutes.
Apple Pecan French Toast Cups
* 8 cups French bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
* 4 large eggs
* 1 cup milk
* ½ cup whipping cream
* ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
* 2 teaspoons apple pie spice, divided
* 3 cups baking apples, peeled, cored, and
* 1 cup packed brown sugar, divided
* 2 teaspoons cornstarch
* 6 tablespoons butter, melted
* 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons pure maple
syrup ¾ cup chopped pecans
Place bread cubes in a large bowl. In a medium bowl whisk together eggs, milk, whipping cream, vanilla and 1 teaspoon apple pie spice. Pour egg mixture over bread and let soak for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 20 standard-size muffin cups.
Combine ¼ cup brown sugar, 1 teaspoon apple pie spice and cornstarch. Sprinkle over chopped apples; toss to combine.
Divide soaked bread cubes among greased muffin cups, filling each about two-thirds full. Lightly press bread down. Top evenly with apple mixture. Combine melted butter with maple syrup, ¾ cup brown sugar and pecans. Mix well and spoon evenly over apples.
Bake for 22 to 25 minutes or until egg has set and tops are golden brown. Unmold and serve with additional maple syrup, pecans and/or whipping cream, if desired. Makes 20 servings.
Sausage-and-Potato Egg Bakes
* 1 pound sage-seasoned ground breakfast
* 3 cups shredded potatoes, drained and
* ¼ cup butter, melted
* 7 large eggs
* 12 ounces mild cheddar cheese, shredded
* 1 (16 ounce) container small-curd cottage
* 4 slices bacon, crisp-cooked, drained and
Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly grease 12 (1 cup) ramekins or mini-casserole dishes. Set dishes on a larger cookie sheet with built-up edges.
In a skillet cook sausage over medium-high heat until brown. Drain, crumble and set aside. Toss together potatoes and butter. Line bottom of ramekins with potato mixture.
Whisk eggs in a medium bowl. Stir in sausage, cheddar cheese and cottage cheese. Spoon egg mixture over potato mixture in ramekins. Sprinkle bacon on top. Bake for 35 minutes or until a knife inserted in center of casseroles comes out clean. Let stand for 3 minutes before serving. Makes 12 servings.
Recipes courtesy of Iowa Egg Council. For more great brunch recipes, visit Iowaegg.org.
(CONTACT: Lois White email@example.com (515) 727-4701)
How To Download
- Highlight the caption (if available).
- Go to EDIT and select COPY.
- Open your favorite Word Processor and go to EDIT and select PASTE.
- Click on the Photo or Graphic to begin downloading the full Photo or Graphic to your computer.
||Italian Spinach Strata
||Apple Pecan French Toast Cups
||Sausage-and-Potato Egg Bakes