Assistant Director, University Communications
*PLEASE NOTE: STUDENT(S) FROM YOUR AREA ARE LISTED IN THE RELEASE. THANK YOU.
Best of 2017-18: Students, groups earn Wood, leadership, co-op awards
More than 100 recognized during year-end program
News link: www.uwstout.edu/about-us/news-center/best-2017-18-students-groups-earn-wood-leadership-co-op-awards
Menomonie, Wis. (May 14, 2018) – More than 100 students and student groups were recognized recently at University of Wisconsin-Stout’s annual Leadership Awards program.
Winners were announced for the Samuel E. Wood Medallion and campus Leadership Awards for the 2017-18 academic year. Also, the Outstanding Co-op Student of the Year Award winners were named for the 2017 calendar year. Those nominated for awards also were recognized.
The event was sponsored by the Involvement Center, Stout Student Association and Career Services and was held in the Great Hall of the Memorial Student Center.
A total of 15 students received the Wood Medallion, given annually to seniors who have been active in student activities and exhibited an outstanding degree of leadership while at UW-Stout. Winners are chosen by a committee representing students, faculty and staff.
The medallion is the highest nonacademic award for students.
Samuel E. Wood was a longtime assistant chancellor for Student Services/Dean of Students. He retired in 1991 and died in February 2013.
The Wood award recipients and their hometowns are:
* Elle Alvarez-Casas, of Eden Prairie, Minn.
* Roselyn Anderson, of Eagan, Minn.
* Corey Bahr, of Forest Lake, Minn.
* Otaasia Barfield, of Milwaukee
* Austin Haglund, of Mount Horeb
* Maria Kastello, of Muskego
* Kristen Kraetke, of Shell Lake
* Shane Miller, of Woodbury, Minn.
* Kennedy Navis, of Cedar Grove
* Coltan Schoenike, of Omro
* Asha Sivarajah, of Lino Lakes, Minn.
* Carol Vang, of Menomonie
* Alexander Vernon, of Green Bay
* Hannah Vogel, of Minneapolis
* Haley Wentz, of Naperville, Ill.
Winners of the annual Leadership Awards are chosen by a committee made up of students and staff. The winners are:
* Outstanding Student Leader of the Year, Alex Vernon, of Green Bay, Stout Student Association president
* Student Employee of the Year, Carol Vang, of Menomonie, University Housing
* Student Org of the Year, Gamma Sigma Sigma
* Student Staff Team of the Year, Merle M. Price Commons Student Manager Team, University Dining Services
* Adviser of the Year, Jennifer Lee, Financial Affairs Committee, Stout Student Association
* Student Org Event of the Year, social, Masquerade Ball, Stout Events Society
* Student Org Event of the Year, educational/professional development, Chicago trip, Stout Retail Association
* Student Org Event of the Year, cultural/social justice, fall Drag Show, Gender and Sexuality Alliance
* Student Org Event of the Year, service/civic engagement, spring break build, Habitat for Humanity
To see a video highlighting the stories of the Leadership Awards nominees, go to http://vimeo.com/267731420.
Outstanding Co-op Student of the Year Award
The Outstanding Co-op Student of the Year Award was given to 13 students in the university’s Cooperative Education Program.
More than 1,000 students participated in co-ops in the past year. Through Career Services, students work in a paid position in their fields of study and receive academic credit.
The award winners are selected by the program’s Advisory Committee for excellence and achievements in their co-op positions, for contributions to their employers and for academic achievement.
This year’s winners, their majors and employers are:
* MaryAnn Feliciano, of Melrose Park, Ill., risk control, Essentra Packaging
* Becca Frederiksen, of Wisconsin Dells, retail merchandising and management, Kohl’s
* Taylor Gentile, of De Pere, packaging, Belmark
* Casey Holman, of Minneapolis, game design and development, iDTech Camps
* Rachel Horn, of Mukwonago, retail merchandising and management, Nordstrom
* Zachary Howard, of New London, engineering technology, Wausau Windows
* Ryan Knudtson, of Strum, packaging, Johnsonville
* Danielle Komro, of Arkansaw, cross-media graphics management, Japs-Olson
* Morgan Krueger, of Crandon, construction, Hensel Phelps Construction
* Eric Kuhn, of Slinger, cross-media graphics management, Crossmark Graphics
* Cody Marquardt, of Onalaska, packaging, Harley-Davidson
* Lucas Morgan, of Cameron, mechanical engineering, Quanex
* Mohammadali Nagarwala, of India, food science, Nestle
For more information about the co-op program, go to the Career Services website, www.uwstout.edu/academics/career-services.
To download full image, right-click and choose “save image as”
UW-Stout student Danielle Komro, a cross-media graphics management major, accepts an Outstanding Co-op Student of the Year Award from Bryan Barts, left, Career Services director, and Chancellor Bob Meyer.
UW-Stout’s Samuel E. Wood Medallion Award winners for 2018 are, front row from left, Roselyn Anderson, Carol Vang and Elle Alvarez-Casas. Second row, Otaasia Barfield, Austin Haglund, Kristen Kraetke, Maria Kastello and Asha Sivarajah. Back row, Alex Vernon, Shane Miller, Hannah Vogel, Coltan Schoenike, Kennedy Navis, Corey Bahr and Haley Wentz.
Alex Vernon, Stout Student Association president, received the Outstanding Student Leader of the Year award.
UW-Stout Co-op Student of the Year Award winners are, front row from left, Mohammadali Nagarwala, Morgan Krueger, Becca Frederiksen, Danielle Komro and Casey Holman, along with Chancellor Bob Meyer. Second row, Zachary Howard, Lucas Morgan, Eric Kuhn, Ryan Knudtson and Cody Marquardt. Not pictured are MaryAnn Feliciano, Rachel Horn and Taylor Gentile.