Township Officials Meet in Duluth for MAT’s 85th Annual Educational Conference and Business Meeting Nov. 15-17, 2018
The Minnesota Association of Townships (MAT) hosts its 85th Annual Educational Conference and Business Meeting in Duluth at the DECC, November 15-17, 2018. This year’s theme is Powering Our Future: Energy to Build in Your Township. Township officers wishing to attend can register online at the MAT website, www.mntownships.org/.
Nathan Redalen, President of the Board of Directors of MAT, said “MAT is excited to be back in Duluth for our Annual Conference. This year’s theme on energy is very timely given all the energy issues facing our state – from solar farms and wind development, to the construction of pipelines and electric transmission lines. We encourage all township officers to attend and learn the impact these energy issues will have on your township.”
MAT is excited to have Tim Gabrielson as our luncheon speaker. Tim blends comedy, magic, and inspirational principles in a presentation that helps people equip themselves to live with more joy and intentionality.
* Over thirty vendors will be on hand at the Exhibitor Showcase on Thursday evening and Friday morning. Road equipment will be on display and learn your “inner identity” with an image drawn by a caricature artist. Lots of door prizes will be given away!
* The Friday morning plenary will feature PUC Commissioner John Tuma, Julie Pierce from Minnesota Power and Fritz Ebinger from UM Extension, who will discuss energy development in Minnesota and the impact it has on land use, the environment and the economy in townships.
* Workshops will be held on CTAS Payroll Account Coding, Record Keeping, Regulating Utilities in the Right-of-Ways, Regulation of Solar Farms, Energy Planning, Line 3 Update and learn about the uses of Peat.
* Representatives from MAT, MATIT, DNR, MCPA, Dept. of Ag, MN Board of Fire Training & Education, DEED, PERA will be there to answer questions at the Round Tables. Stop by and chat with Duane Blanck, Lenny Laures and Tom Nelson about road or truck issues or visit the ever-popular Attorney Talk.
* The Friday evening banquet will recognize six high school students that will each be awarded $1000 scholarships for writing essays on our conference theme.
* At the MAT Annual Business Meeting, township officers vote on issues crucial to township government in preparation for the upcoming legislative session.
MAT Conference Schedule of Events
Duluth Entertainment Convention Center
Thursday, November 15
5:30 to 8:30 pm Exhibitor Showcase
Friday, November 16
7:00 to 9:00 am Breakfast & Exhibitor Showcase
9:00 to 11:30 am Morning Plenary
11:30 am to 1:00 pm Tim Gabrielson
1:15 to 3:30 pm Workshops and Round Tables
3:30 to 4:30 pm Social Hour
4:30 pm Banquet and Award Ceremony
Saturday, November 17
7:00 to 8 am Breakfast
8:00 am Annual Business Meeting
Agenda and registration information can be found at the MAT website, www.mntownships.org/.
The Minnesota Association of Townships is a nonprofit corporation representing Minnesota’s 1,781 townships and over 9,000 officers.
Efficient. Effective. Accountable. Accessible.
Minnesota township governments embody America’s great democratic principles.
To download full image, right-click and choose “save image as”